January 30, 2011

who uses that name?!

this is a spice cake...

Who knew that powder sugar is called confectioners' sugar?!  Holy cow...  I don't know how many times I've made this same sort of mistake...  I was trying to make some frosting (found a recipe online to follow.)  So I remembered when my parents would make frosting, they would use powder sugar.  Still didn't sink into my mind.  So the recipe calls for about 4 cups of this confectioners' sugar, sifted.  So I get out the sugar (granulated kind) and start adding 4 cups of sifted sugar while thinking: "man, I'm not sure why they're having you sift this...  It just falls right through as if you didn't need sifting."  Pretty much I get done making it and what to my surprise!  It's all grainy and such...  AH HA!  Now it sinks in...  Maybe, just maybe, I was suppose to use powder sugar?!  It actually tasted fine, just had a terrible  texture.  Well, I wasn't about to ruin the spice cake, so I had to dump it all out and start again from scratch.  I think for those of us with simple minds, people should stick with one definition: POWDER SUGAR...

That is all...

1 comment:

Heidi-n-Scott said...

hahahhahahahahha :)